What Did the Buddha Say? Exploring the Sutras (Part 2): This class continues Part, exploring some of the documented stories and teachings of the Buddha, primarily from the Sutras (both Pali and Sanskrit sources), as well as commentaries by the authors. The intent is to give Vajrayana practitioners a fuller understanding of selected foundational texts of the tradition, as well as to challenge some of our assumptions and understandings. The course will include presentation and discussion.
- In the Buddha’s Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon* – Edited and introduced by Bhikkhu Bodhi
- The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha: Early Discourses, the Dhammapada and Later Basic Writings – E.A. Burtt (Editor)
- The Buddha before Buddhism: Wisdom from the Early Teachings – Gil Fronsdal
- Stars at Dawn: Forgotten Stories of the Women in the Buddha’s Life – Wendy Garling
*This will be the main text for the course and purchasing a copy is recommended.
- Teacher: Khenpo Drimed Dawa